About the Maritimes Region
The Maritimes Region encompasses the eastern Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador. There are three districts — the Cape Breton District, the Northumberland District and the Saint John River Valley District with a total of 12 clubs.
The Maritimes Region was created to help facilitate the administrative structure. Our clubs have a Regional Awareness which provides them with the advantage of:
- The ability to respond to local and regional humanitarian needs more effectively.
- A communication with distant clubs.
- Provide a social aspect for members.
- Helps Y’s Men broaden their horizons.
- Prevents clubs from becoming ingrown.
- Nurtures “Esprit De Corp” in the movement.
Being part of an international organization means contributing to all parts of the structure.
Area Canada & Caribbean
The Canada and Caribbean Area is an association of Y’s Men’s Clubs. It has a formal affiliation with the National Association of YMCA’s of Canada. This organization recognizes the Y’s Menettes Clubs of Canada as an auxillary organization.
The objectives of the Canada and Caribbean Area are:
- To encourage, promote, and foster organization and maintenance of Y’s Men’s Clubs throughout Canada and the Carribean.
- To coordinate the activities of all Regions and provide supplementary training materials and personal leadership development.
Structure of the Canada and Caribbean Area
The Canadian Area is divided into four regions:
- The Western Canada Region which includes the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba as well as the Yukon, and the Northwest Territories.
- The Central Canada Region which includes the provinces of Ontario and Quebec.
- The Maritimes Region which includes the provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador.
- The Caribbean Region — Clubs in Aruba, Barbados, Jamaica, and Trinidad/Tobago
- Alexander Scholarship Fund
- Time of Fast — Global Service Project
- Endowment Fund
- International Brother Clubs
- Brotherhood Fund
- Christian Emphasis
- Community Service
Traditionally, a wife of a Y’s Man was called a Y’s Menette and they sometimes formed an auxiliary to the local Y’s Men’s Club. Today, Y’s Menettes are women who have chosen to join a Y’s Menettes’ Club - and a Y’s Menettes’ Club today is no longer an auxiliary to a Y’s Men’s Club but is an equal partner and has its own programme to support the local Y’s Men’s Club, YMCA and the community.
Y’s Menettes share the warm fellowship of an international organisation, by:
- Enjoying social activities which often involve the whole family;
- Attending Regional, Area and International Conventions;
- Learning of our friends and fellow members in other countries through the “Sister Club programme”.
Y’s Menettes Prayer
God bless all Y’s Menettes here,
And all whom we hold dear,
As now we pray.
To every Y’s Menette far and near,
We pledge devotion most sincere;
New zeal our hearts imbue,
And consecrate ourselves anew.
Y’s Menettes International Projects
Y’s Menettes have supported their own international projects since 1982. To date they have committed close to $300,000 USD to 22 projects all over the world.
Since the year 2000 Y’s Menettes have supported or are supporting these projects:
|Philippines||Women’s Empowerment and Development||$6,000|
|Indonesia||Women’s Participation in Community for a Better Future||$7,500|
|Bolivia||The Adolescent and his/her Project of Life||$15,000|
|India||Employment Opportunities in Kuttanellur||$4,000|
|Russia||Children Draw Anti-Aids Poster||$2,700|
|Bolivia||Inform about and prevent HIV/AIDS transmission in marginal communities||$26,796|
|Costa Rica||Awareness & Training of Young People for Prevention of HIV/AIDS||$15,000|
|Uganda||HIV/AIDS Awareness & Prevention in Buwambo||$15,780|